The Beginning

My serious interest in music began with Pink Floyd in 1984. A year later, I met Ed. He turned me on to Led Zeppelin and got me interested in playing guitar. I moved to Portland in 1986 and a then met Fritz. His original compositions as Damage won my immediate admiration, but also made me realize that making great music was not the provenance of fantastical other-worldly beings.

The Beatles, Van Halen, Linkin Park, Cat Stevens, Def Leppard, Nirvana, John Denver, David Bowie, Gin Blossoms, Scorpions, Black Keys, Jimi Hendrix, Blink 182, Rush, Willie Nelson, Pearl Jam, Waylon Jennings, Paul Simon (with or without Garfunkle), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Waylon Jennings, AC/DC, Soundgarden, Journey, Moody Blues, U2, Rolling Stones, Greatful Dead, Air Supply, Joe Satriani, Green Day... all influences. Also, Kevin Pakulis and John Clark, supreme talents that I've actually played with and if you've never heard of them you should. Jason

I like a well played instrument. I like a well written song. I like a great riff, a powerful solo. Everything from classical guitar to transistorized metal distortion can sound great... or terrible. An excellent song stands on outstanding drums and bass, but these instruments at their best retain a profoundly rhythmic role, rich in variation, harmony and even melody, but supportive of the song. Keyboards, synthesizers, MIDI... everything is possible...

So this year a bucket list item shall be cleared. An album, at least 10 songs, shall be written. Maybe a concept album... maybe an eclectic mix... I haven't decided. But thirty years is long enough to screw around, and not another year shall pass without result.

Comments

  1. That sounds great! If your song writing is half as good as your blog writing I expect I will enjoy the album 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I just noticed...

Surgery Tomorrow