I just noticed...

I spelled "tunes" as "toons." Figures. There, they're, and their continue to show up in the wrong form in my writing, despite the fact that I well and truly know the difference among the homophones. Perhaps it is a sign. You can get some serious lyrical mileage out of homophone abuse.

Yesterday I did little with this effort, but I did something. I took my Zoom H4n recorder with me on a business trip and quickly reminded myself that it has none of the cool processing features of the new H4n Pro, such as effects and amp simulation. My natural inclination is to buy more gear. I shall overcome.

Today I got home and did some jamming around and recorded a couple of ideas. One was my usual melodic stuff at the nut with D chord variations and some descending bass lines. Made me think a little of Fleetwood Mac. The other was a massive delayed and distorted thing with a phaser acting over a half-wah to produce motion. Kinda reminds me of Pink Floyd's Meddle.

The truth is that my problem is everything but the guitar. I'm no virtuoso, but I can find things to play on the guitar that sound musical and even song-like. Bass? I can fake it if I have to. Drums? I got nuthin... Lyrics? Everything I write is a source of embarrassment. I'm going to have to confront those problems, especially the lyrics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

Surgery Tomorrow